Dominion Voting Systems has filed a lawsuit against former President Donald Trump’s attorney Rudy Giuliani, claiming he defamed the company by further promoting the lie that the election was stolen.
The 107-page lawsuit has been filed with the Federal District Court in Washington, claiming more than $ 1.3 billion in damages. It cites more than 50 statements made by Giuliani “at hearings on Twitter, in his podcast and in the conservative news media in which he filmed a fictional plot of a conspiracy by one of the largest manufacturers of voting machines in the country to vote for President Biden” according to the New York Times.
Scoop: Dominion Voting Systems has sued Rudy Giuliani for making false claims about the election.
I’m looking for $ 1.3 billion.
NOW story: https://t.co/ebNHKf5rhe pic.twitter.com/81ezVxaMQp
– Nick Corasaniti (@NYTnickc) January 25, 2021
Thomas A. Clare, a lawyer representing Dominion, said the recent Capitol riot ignored the decision to sue Giuliani, despite acknowledging how far people have taken their belief that the election, despite all evidence to the contrary has been compromised.
“From a defamation law perspective, it only shows the depth to which these statements penetrate people,” Clare told the New York Times. “That people don’t just read them and turn them off. It is about the core of their belief system that enables them to be active in the real world. “
Giuliani isn’t the only member of Trump’s inner circle to be tried by Dominion.
Dominion sued earlier this month Attorney Sidney Powell who made apparently false claims about the election, including the fact that Dominion machines were compromised. Dominion says it was the victim of a “viral disinformation campaign” carried out by Powell “to get financially rich, raise public profile and ingratiate yourself with Donald Trump.”
Claims that Dominion voting machines have been compromised in some way has already been refuted. A Explanation posted last month The Federal Cybersecurity & Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA), part of a joint statement by the Coordination Council of the electoral infrastructure government and the electoral infrastructure sector coordination committees, found that the agencies “found no evidence that a voting system was deleted or votes were changed.” or has been compromised in any way. “The statement called the 2020 general election” the safest in American history “.
These facts didn’t stop former President Trump from urging his Twitter followers to watch a show by Fox News host Sean Hannity that gave even more airtime to the emerging Dominion conspiracy theory from pro-Trump
OANN citing “data analysis” and without clear evidence claiming that Dominion “deleted 2.7 million Trump votes nationwide.” A New York Times The investigation found that there were explanations for voting irregularities in cases in Michigan and Georgia where Dominion software was affected.
“Dominion software was only used in two of the five counties in Michigan and Georgia that had problems, and in each case there was a detailed explanation of what had happened. In all cases, software did not affect the number of votes, ”according to the Times reported.
The point of sale continued, “In the two flawed counties of Michigan, the inaccuracies were due to human error rather than software problems, according to the Michigan State Department, county officials and electoral security experts. Only one of Michigan’s two counties used Dominion software. “
Problems in three Georgia counties “had different explanations,” they continued. “In one county, an apparent problem with Dominion software delayed officers’ reporting of the number of votes, but it did not affect the actual number of votes. In two other countries, a separate company’s software slowed poll workers’ ability to check-in voters. “
Alan is a New York based writer, editor, and news junkie.